Friday, July 3, 2009

One month to go...maybe?!


Well I went to my 36 week check up Thursday morning. They had to do my strep b test and during that the midwife discovered that I have vaginosis. For those of you that don't know or recall vaginosis is what is believed to have put/kept me in early labor with Dylan. Basically it is caused by an imbalance in hormones while pregnant. She gave me a prescription that I will take for the next week to get it all cleared up.

Since she knew I had vaginosis she decided to go ahead and check me to see if I had had any change from the last time I was checked (which was on Easter when I went into the hospital with contractions but had no progression at that point). She said I am 50% effaced and softening plus I am dilated to a 2 already.

She told me that she hates giving any kind of predictions as to when any woman will go into labor because these things just can't be predicted (unless scheduled, lol) but she did say that with the way every thing was when she checked me she wouldn't be surprised if I had this baby in a couple weeks. The medication I am on will clear up the infection and postpone labor for at least a week but from there I could go at any time. Of course they are hoping my body will hold out until I'm at least 38 weeks.

We are all still in a bit of shock here. I was expecting the normal check up...baby's heart beat sounds great, everything looks good, we'll see you in a week...instead I got told it's a good thing you have your bags packed because this baby is probably coming sooner rather than later. We do have everything ready and now have everyone on back up just in case. I have been in a bit of denial the last few weeks, everyone kept telling me that I was in the nesting stages and I kept saying no I'm just OCD and crazy like that but now I am willing to admit I am defiantly nesting. Every spare minute I get I am cleaning something. I have meltdowns when things get put in the wrong spot and I want everything ready for the baby at all times.

I'm so impressed with how well the midwives have handled everything and I know that if I had been going to my old OBGYN he wouldn't have even noticed the infection because it went unnoticed with my last pregnancy for weeks before I finally had to tell them something was going on (and I had been checked multiple times)!! Overall they have made us feel at ease with this pregnancy which I'm sure has helped my stress level tremendously which in turn has helped the progression of labor hold off. I'm so very thankful that this pregnancy has gone so well and I do think that I have to give credit to the midwives for being so on top of everything from the very first visit. They have consulted with the OBGYN's in Durango on several occasions about my pregnancy (past and present), they have tons of good advice to give, they are always willing to help me with any problems I am having, and they don't shove pills down my throat anytime things come up like my low iron level, rather they try to find a natural way to fix the problem which I love!

Anyways, I'll now be seen weekly until my due date. I'll keep everyone updated on any more news we hear! Stay tuned...we may have a baby very soon!!

These are two very eager brothers!!

No comments: